DESCRIPTION - ILEX Skin Protectant
ILEX SKIN PROTECTANT is a topical skin barrier for use on intact or broken skin, a variety of dermal wounds and stomal irritations. Ilex adheres to moist weeping wounds to form an occlusive barrier against urinary and faecal material, digestive enzymes and wound exudates. Ilex is alcohol free so it is safe to use on all skin types, from babies to the elderly. Ilex can be used in conjunction with other prescribed treatment such as topical steroid and antibiotic therapy.
• Helps maintain a moist environment that maximizes healing with a unique 0.00cm/hr MPR (moisture penetration rate).
• The occlusive barrier formed by the paste helps to prevent external microbial filtration and therefore helps prevent infection.
• Adheres to moist weeping tissue (broken skin) using copolymer bioadhesives which forms an occlusive barrier - particularly effective against digestive & urinary acids and wound exudates
• Soft, flexible and easy to apply - minimises pain and disturbance to wounds. • Inert and non-toxic; contains no alcohol or latex and is not absorbed systemically so it’s safe to use on fragile skin, paediatric and elderly
• Bio-compatible with medical and surgical devices and ostomy appliances • Ilex may be used in conjunction with prescribed topical agents such as antifungal and antibacterial.
Calcium/ Sodium PVM/MA Copolymers, LiquiparPE, Cornstarch, Zinc, Sodium Carboxymethyl Cellulose, Petroleum jelly
Prevention and treatment of a wide range of skin irritations and excoriations due to:
• Skin irritation and breakdown, caused by urinary and faecal incontinence. Ilex provides an effective barrier against the devastating effects of urine and faeces. Ilex contains no alcohol, and will adhere to denuded weeping tissues, without discomfort to the patient. Ilex is especially effective for the paediatric patient where systemic absorption of toxic substances, such as alcohol, are contraindicated
• For Ileo anal pouch and Hirshprung’s for protection in the perianal region • G-tube placements, Ilex has proven to be a valuable asset in treating and preventing irritations resulting from G-tube placemen. Ilex protects the skin against gastric acids, and enzymes commonly associated with these procedures.
• Faecal fistula, • Surgical and traumatic wounds with drainage causing dermal irritation and skin breakdown. • Ilex can be used to maintain prescribed topical medications to wounds to form an occlusive dressing, while providing a moist healing environment.
• Protection of the skin directly around a faecal or urinary stoma at the area of clearance between the stoma wafer and the appliance
• Should any signs of irritation or redness appear or persist please consult your healthcare professional
• Hypersensitivity to any of the ingredients
• Ilex by its nature adheres well to moist tissue and forms an effective barrier. To protect delicate skin we recommend a layer of petroleum jelly (such as Vaseline) over the top of the Ilex to prevent the outer surface sticking to clothing or other material.
• To avoid skin damage when removing Ilex, Mineral or baby oil can be used
ILEX Instructions for Use
ILEX SKIN PROTECTANT is a topical skin barrier that forms a totally occlusive barrier against body fluids. It has a 0.00% moisture penetration rate (MPR).
General Instructions For Use
Ilex provides an effective barrier against urinary and faecal incontinence. ILEX does not contain alcohol or latex and will adhere to weeping tissues without discomfort. Ilex may be used in conjunction with prescribed topical agents such as antifungal and antibacterial treatments.
1) Before commencing Ilex gently clean the wound as directed by the Health Care Professional or protocol.
2) Apply any other treatment if required (such as antifungal or antibacterial powder/cream)
3) Apply a thin coating of Ilex over the entire wound needing protection. You should still be able to see through the layer of Ilex to the skin below. Allow to dry for 30 seconds.
4) In areas where the Ilex may stick to clothing or other material apply a good coating of petroleum jelly over the IIex and surrounding skin
IMPORTANT - A coating of petroleum jelly (such as Vaseline) should be applied over Ilex when used in the perianal area to prevent the skin and/or diaper from sticking. Do not forcibly try to remove Ilex that has adhered to the skin.
5) When cleansing in the perianal area, only the stool should be wiped off using cotton wool or soft cloth and water leaving the Ilex intact. You may reapply additional Ilex if required, then reapply petroleum jelly. This procedure will minimise any trauma to the already broken skin.
6) The Ilex should only be removed once a day – to remove use a soft cloth with a good amount of mineral oil/ baby oil or water and mild soap.
Note: Removing Ilex more often or without the use of mineral oil/baby oil may inhibit the healing process and lead to further skin breakdown
Instructions for use – G-tubes, Faecal, Fistula, Wound exudate etc:
1) Clean the surrounding areas as directed by the Health Care Professional or protocol
2) Apply prescribed medication to the wound if required
3) Apply a layer of Ilex over the area, followed by a coating of petroleum jelly (such as Vaseline)
4) Apply secondary dressing
5) To remove Ilex (maximum once a day) use a soft cloth and mineral oil/baby oil or water and a mild soap.
Instructions for Use – Ostomy Care
1) Clean the peristomal skin as directed by the Stoma Care nurse or protocol
2) Apply a light layer of Ilex on the area requiring treatment
3) Cut the appliance aperture/ template to the outside edge of the Ilex. Ilex will provide an occlusive barrier so will protect the area of clearance between the stoma and the appliance wafer, thus preventing the digestive enzymes to come in contact with the skin. If the Ilex needs to be used beyond the perimeter of the stoma an adhesive spray should be applied over the Ilex to assist with the adherence of the appliance.
4) Reapply a layer of Ilex at each appliance change. Do not forcibly attempt to remove any remaining residue of Ilex on the excoriated area. This residue should be left in place so as not to damage the skin.
5) When wanting to completely remove Ilex use a soft cloth and mineral oil/ baby oil.
Refer to our specific Instructions for Use for Ostomy care for further details
HOW TO STORE:
Store at room temperature. Ingredients remain stable when exposed to air.